MY05STi - From Daily Drive to Track Star (hopefully)

MY05STi - From Daily Drive to Track Star (hopefully)
MY05STi - From Daily Drive to Track Star (hopefully)

Navigation

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Learning Curve 2012 - Overview (Video Inside)



So last weekend was amazing, to say the least. It started off Saturday morning at 8am with a classrom session. Basically we were sat down, assigned groups, and given a good idea of what was to transpire over the next ~48hours. They also were kind enough to create a packet with all of the pertinent info, including layouts of the course that we will be running (these are few and far between usually). After the classroom we got to go to the paddock and meet our instructor. Mine was a gentleman by the name of Bill, who owns an 07 STi, and I was also introduced to Bill's other student Dustin (he owns an 07 STi too). This was a huge relief as I thought I might get paired with someone that didn't run an AWD car. Coincidentally, I already knew Bill as I had taken photos of his car in past events (small world). After our brief introduction we were told to prep our car for the day's runs.

The course was separated into 2 sections so that it would be easier for us novices to tackle. Basically every AX starts with walking the course to try and get a good idea of how one would attack it (identify turn in points, breaking points, slalom entry/exit points, etc). To put it bluntly, I was a big weenie. I was nervous, and less than confident in myself and my car; Bill saw an end to that. After a couple runs with Bill in my car and I was ready to rock. As the day progressed my confidence grew and I started tearing my car up, literally, but more on that later. After a good amount of runs on Course 2 we took a lunch break, which came in the form of Subway party subs provided by K&M Magnetics (thanks).

After lunch I got to work. Work is where you are the guy schlepping the cones when someone hits one. Its not a fun/glorious job, but someone has to do it. Work went rather quickly as all I could think about was tearing my car up some more. My wish was soon granted as we made our way to Course 1. I had a little more trouble with this course as I kept failing to look ahead. After a handful of runs the day was over, and I was drained. Racing your car takes a huge toll on you mentally and physically. Day 2 came at around 6am to the sounds of rain and my alarm on my phone. We (I came with 3 other people) all moaned and groaned, and said that we weren't going to go as it wouldn't be as much fun in the rain. Boy were we wrong. It did start a little dirty and wet, but oddly enough I think I had more fun when it was wet. As the day progressed, the sun came out and that in conjunction with the cars running on the track helped dry everything up. For Day 2, they took the two courses and made them one.

 The day progressed as follows:
3 Instructor Runs
3 Student Runs
Switch Run Groups
3 Instructor Runs
3 Student Runs
--Lunch Break - again K&M provided subway
3 Instructor Runs
3 Student Runs
Switch Run Groups
3 Instructor Runs
3 Student Runs

Now, for your viewing pleasure, the video of the run where my muffler decided to fall off.

No comments:

Post a Comment